When family legal issues turn your life upside down, you can turn to an experienced South Valley family law attorney at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC. Compassionate, skilled and insightful, our lawyers are dedicated to helping people advocate their rights and protect their interests in any family legal matter.
We know how distressing and devastating family law cases can be and how important it is to have effective representation in these matters. That is why we are committed to helping our clients successfully navigate the complexities of family legal disputes so they can obtain the best possible outcomes.
Call (575) 205-1328 or Email Us
for Answers about How to Proceed with Your Family Law Case
The attorneys at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC are ready to help you get through the difficult times so you can get a fresh start and new beginning.
What Is Family Law?
Family law refers to any legal matters, disputes or processes involving a family unit. These matters can pertain to matters like (but may not be limited to):
- Ending a marriage via divorce, annulment or legal separation
- Marital financial matters, like dividing marital property and debt, spousal support and disputes over pre- or post-nuptial agreements
- Issues involving children, such as adoption, guardianship, paternity disputes, child custody disputes and child support disputes
- Abuse and domestic violence issues, including protective orders.
It is not uncommon for multiple issues or disputes to be involved in a single case, such as divorce case that also involves financial disputes and custody issues.
What Is Family Law Mediation?
Family law mediation is a method of resolving family legal disputes outside of the courtroom. Overseen by a neutral third party (the mediator), mediation involves both parties in the dispute coming together in a non-adversarial environment to try to cooperate, discuss the issues and achieve mutually beneficial resolutions.
As such, mediation is commonly viewed as informal or alternative dispute resolution option. When successful, family law medication can result in:
- Quicker, more cost-effective resolutions that remain private – With family law mediation, the parties involved in a dispute will not have to work around the court’s busy schedule. Because this can lead to faster resolutions, it can also mean that the parties spend less money to resolve their dispute. Additionally, unlike a court case, mediation proceedings will remain private.
- More favorable outcomes – With the disputing parties having a direct hand in developing resolutions to their disputes, they may be able to achieve better outcomes than would be available via court, where the final rulings are made by a judge. Additionally, mediation can provide for more creative resolutions than may be available via court, potentially allowing both parties to obtain their primary objectives.
What Does a Family Law Attorney Do?
A family lawyer can do a lot to protect and advance your interests when any type of family legal dispute arises. Some of these things can include:
- Advising you of your rights and best options, based on your situation, needs and goals
- Gathering the necessary documents and evidence to build you a strong case
- Presenting your case and advocating your rights in and outside of the courtroom.
Additionally, a family lawyer can help you address and resolve any legal matters that may arise after your case has been resolved. For example, if one parent refuses to pay court-ordered child support after a custody dispute has been resolved, a family law attorney can help you take the right steps to hold the non-paying parent accountable.
Are Family Law Cases Part of Public Record?
It depends on whether the case is ultimately resolved in or outside of court:
- If family legal disputes can be resolved in mediation or via collaborative divorce, then the details of the case and the resolution will remain private and not be part of public record.
- If, alternatively, mediation fails and the dispute must be resolved in court, then yes, the details of the case – and the final judgment issued by the family court judge – will usually become matters of public record (unless the court grants a request to keep the case sealed).
Contact a South Valley Family Law Attorney at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC
For exceptional counsel and representation in any family legal matter, contact a South Valley family law attorney at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC. Call (575) 205-1328 or email our firm.
We are ready to discuss your needs, address your concerns and explain your options for moving forward. Backed by four decades of family law experience, we have the knowledge, skills and record of success that you can count on for effective representation and the best possible outcomes.
The attorneys at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC represent clients throughout New Mexico, and we are also licensed to practice in Texas and Michigan.