Las Cruces Uncontested & Contested Divorce Attorneys
The divorce process in New Mexico will vary according to whether you and your partner agree on the issues related to your case. When partners are in full agreement on these issues, they will have an uncontested divorce case. When there are disagreements about one or more issues, a contested divorce case will ensue.
Whether you are moving forward with an uncontested or contested divorce, you can turn to a Los Cruces divorce lawyer at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC for compassion, effective representation and the highest quality legal services.
Call 505-293-9333 or Email Us
for Answers about Your Divorce Case & Options
We are ready to advocate your rights, protect your interests and help you get through the conflict and difficult times.
Spousal support, property division and child custody are just a few of the issues that can arise during the dissolution of a marriage. Divorcing parties who can agree on these and any other issues related to their case can proceed with an uncontested divorce by:
- Filing the initial divorce petition – This should be submitted, along with the required filing fees, to the family court in county where you live. Different forms are required if children are or are not involved in the divorce. Court forms for initiating a divorce with the Doña Ana County Family Court are available here.
- Developing a divorce settlement agreement – This agreement will detail how each issue of the case is to be resolved. Both parties will need to sign the agreement before taking the next step.
- Submitting the agreement to the court – As long as the agreement is reasonable and authorized by both parties, the court will typically approve it, issuing the agreement as the final divorce decree.
Generally, uncontested divorce cases can be resolved faster than contested divorces because:
- There will not be any issues to negotiate or fight over in court.
- The case will involve minimal court proceedings.
That does not mean, however, that you don’t need an attorney for an uncontested divorce case. In fact, in uncontested divorces, a lawyer at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC can provide crucial help by:
- Explaining the short- and long-term impacts of your choices
- Pointing out issues you may not have considered, like tax implications associated with support payments, for instance
- Carefully reviewing the terms of the divorce settlement to ensure they accurately reflect the agreement between you and your ex and that they properly protect your interests
- Filing all necessary court documents to initiate, advance and resolve your case.
Often, divorcing spouses are unable to agree on some terms of their divorce. In these more complicated divorce cases:
- The court may order mediation before setting a trial date – Mediation can promote compromise and facilitate an out-of-court resolution.
- Hearings and a trial can be scheduled when mediation fails – Ultimately, the court will make a decision regarding all of the disputed issues in the divorce. For instance, if couples cannot agree on how the marital property should be divided or how custody should be split, the points of dispute will be presented to the court. The family law judge will make the final decision, after reviewing each side’s arguments and evidence.
The representation of an attorney at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC can make a big difference when it’s time to proceed with a contested divorce. That’s because our lawyers:
- Provide personalized legal service, customized to fit your unique needs, circumstances and goals
- Will vigorously advocate your rights in mediation and/or in court
- Are focused on protecting your interests and bringing your divorce to an efficient, favorable resolution.
Get Experienced, Effective Help in Your Corner: Contact a Las Cruces Divorce Lawyer at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC
Whether you are preparing for an uncontested or contested divorce, contact a Las Cruces divorce lawyer at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC for helpful advice and effective representation as you move forward.
Call 505-293-9333 or email our firm.
Diligent and insightful, our attorneys have more than four decades of experience representing clients in various types of divorce cases. This means we have the knowledge and skills you can trust when it’s time to face the uncertainty and challenges of divorce.
Let us help you successfully navigate the complexities ahead so you can obtain the best possible outcome and focus on your new beginning.
From offices based in Las Cruces, we provide the highest quality counsel and representation to clients throughout New Mexico. Our attorneys are also licensed to practice in Texas and Michigan.