Las Cruces Adoption Attorneys
Adopting a child can be a wonderful way to expand your family. It is also a major legal commitment. Consequently, the adoption process can be lengthy and complicated, especially if you don’t understand the legal steps you have to take.
Whether you are preparing to adopt a child or you are in the midst of the adoption process, you can rely on a Albuquerque family lawyer at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC for essential guidance and counsel at every stage of the process. Our attorneys have extensive experience helping clients pursue various types of adoptions, and we are ready to work closely with you to ensure your adoption proceeds as smoothly as possible.
Call 505-293-9333 or Email Us
for Answers & Insights about Your Adoption Plans or Case
We can explain the adoption process and your options, after discussing your needs and goals. We can also provide you with the answers and advocacy necessary to facilitate your adoption case.
Who Can Pursue Adoption in New Mexico?
A resident of New Mexico can adopt a child upon the court’s approval. While married residents of New Mexico can pursue joint adoptions, one spouse can adopt a child without the other spouse when:
- The spouses have been legally separated.
- The other spouse is the biological parent of the adoptee, as in the case of a step-parent adoption.
- The court excuses the other spouse from the adoption, based on some reasonable circumstance.
Additionally, New Mexico adoption law1 :
- Permits non-residents of New Mexico to adopt children from the state under certain circumstances
- Permits lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) individuals and couples to adopt children, as long as they meet the resident or non-resident requirements
- Permits other relatives, like grandparents, to pursue kinship adoptions under certain circumstances
- Requires the adoptee to give consent to the adoption when (s)he is 14 or older
- Covers far more than the above, making it crucial to have the help of an experienced attorney, who can demystify the law and guide you through the process.
Adoption: The Options & Process
When adopting a child in New Mexico, from another state or from another country, the options for adoption can include:
- Open versus closed adoptions – Open adoptions are those in which the adoptive parents maintain or are open to contact with the birth mother or birth parents. In closed adoptions, there is no contact between these parties, and their respective personal information is usually sealed.
- Private versus agency adoptions – Private or independent adoptions are those in which an adoptive parent works with a lawyer, rather than an agency, to adopt a child. With private adoptions, there are usually fewer requirements, and the process is typically more flexible, when compared to agency adoptions.
The specific steps of the adoption process will depend on the type of adoption you are pursuing. In general, however, the adoption process in New Mexico can involve steps like:
- Filing various paperwork with the court
- Undergoing background checks
- Completing parenting classes (and/or other programs)
- Completing a series of home visits and interviews (i.e., the home study).
How an Attorney Can Help You with an Adoption
A Albuquerque adoption lawyer at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC can help you in a number of important ways, including by:
- Explaining the process and preparing you for every stage
- Representing you in court hearings and any other proceedings associated with your case
- Communicating with adoption agencies and others on your behalf
- Preparing and filing all necessary forms and legal documents
- Negotiating fair terms with biological parents, as well as preparing and reviewing adoption agreements, in private adoptions.
Sutherland Law Firm, LLC welcomes the opportunity to help you add to your family through the gift of adoption.
We Are Ready to Help You: Contact a Las Cruces Adoption & Family Lawyer at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC
To find out more about how we can help you with your adoption plans or case, contact a Las Cruces adoption & family lawyer at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC by calling 505-293-9333
or emailing our firm.
Backed by four decades of family law experience, our attorneys are compassionate, responsive, insightful advocates who can successfully guide you through the adoption process.
From offices based in Albuquerque, we provide the highest quality counsel and representation to clients throughout New Mexico. We are also licensed to practice in Texas and Michigan.
1: Chapter 32A of the state’s revised statutes